We want our visitors to get the maximum enjoyment and benefit from our wonderful open air swimming pool. We have put together the the following information to provide all the information you should need to get the most out of your visit.
If there is other information you need and can't find here or on other pages of our website please use the Contact Us page or telephone us on 01285 653947 (only during opening times).
Please note: Our pool is run by volunteers who work in their work in their spare time for the benefit of visitors and the charity that runs the pool. Please be patient whilst waiting for a response to your request
Our pool is open to the general public from mid May until mid September. These times may vary from year to year. However, at certain times the pool maybe closed to general swimming for specific events, such as our Aqua Aerobics sessions.
Please check our Pool Timetable Page for up to date opening times.
Monday through Friday: The pool is normally open from 7am until 6:45pm
Please note: From 7am to 9am the pool is restricted to lane swimming only.
During the week there are also special sessions such including Aqua aerobics, parent and toddler sessions and lane only swims. Please check our Pool Timetable Page for up to date details
Saturday: 9am until 5:45pm
Sunday: 10am until 5:45pm
If you have specific plans for your time at the Pool or are travelling from a distance, please check the Pool Timetable Page for events which may impact on your plans. There are a few occasions when the pool is closed for couple of hours for a special event or booking. The diary will show the times the pool is closed for one of these . We also aim to place information about any closures on Pool Diary at least 5 days before. Please do check the Pool Diary.
Pricing for weekdays and weekends are the same. The following prices are subject to change so please check our Pool Diary page for current pricing
- Adults (Over 17 years old) £4.80
- Concession 60 and over. Students(proof required) £3.00
- Child Children aged 4 to 16 years old £2.80
- Family 2 Adults + 2 Children (4-16 years) Children under 4 yrs Free £14.50
Types of payment
For entrance to the pool you can pay with both cash and credit/debit cards.
The pool is located on Riverside Walk which is off Thomas Street between Cecily Hill and The Mead. You can find directions by going to our Find us page and entering the post code or address from where you are starting out from
Getting Here by Car
The pool does not have any car parking facilities and most of the streets around the pool have very restricted parking. However, there are a number of public pay and display car parks close by the pool.
To find the nearest car park go to Car Parking page where you will see a map of of the nearest car parks and how to get to each of them. Just select the car park together with your starting address or post code
People with disabilities:
The pool has disabled access and changing facilities and we want everyone to enjoy their visit to the pool. Due to our location and difficulties around parking, we ask that if possible you call the pool during opening hours on 01285 653947 to discuss your needs and how we can best support you on your visit.
Check our opening times
There are occasions when we have special events that are not open to the general public or that the pool may be closed due to unforseen circumstances. For planned closures we will put these on our Pool Timetable Page. Please check this before setting out for the pool.
What do I need to bring ?
As well as the obvious things, swimming costumes and towels, we also suggest you might bring the following:
- Pool Shoes - The pool is 150 years old and some of the surfaces around the pool are uneven and a little rough.
- Sunscreen and other sun protection - We are an open air pool and in the summer there is sunlight on the pool for the majority of the day. These are particular important for young children.
- Sun Umbrella. On very hot days as we have a limited number of umbrellas and no natural shade on site.
- Water Bottle(s). On very hot days, queuing is likely, so bring your own water bottle to stay hydrated and safe in the queue.
Admission Policy & Procedures
- Any non swimmers or weak swimmers irrespective of age are required to stay in the shallow end of the pool.
- Swimmers ability and eligibility to enter the deep end is at our lifeguards’ discretion.
- Armbands are available on request.
- On busy days there may be queues for public sessions and entry to the pool maybe limited.
- Once we reach capacity, customers are admitted on a one-out, one-in basis.
Whilst we endeavour to maintain a consistent water temperature of 27 degrees, sometimes our ability to do so is affected by conditions out of our control
End of Day
All swimmers must be off site 15 minutes after the last pool session of the day.
All children under the age of 8 years of age must be accompanied into the pool by a supervising swimmer who is a minimun 16 years old. The responsible swimmer must enter the water with the children and supervise them at all times.
Child to Adult ratio in the pool
- Under 4 years: 1 adult to 1 child ratio
- 4 to 7 years: 1 adult to 2 children ratio.
- 8 years and over: may be unsupervised.
Any children who are weak or non-swimmers should wear suitable recognised buoyancy aids, stay in close contact with the supervising swimmer and remain in the shallow end at all times.
Parents are requested to ensure that their children wear aqua nappies where appropriate; these are available to purchase from the tuck shop.
Storm Closure Procedure
In the event of thunder storms we will have to ask you to leave the water immediately. An ‘all clear’ to re-enter the water will be given once there has been a 30 minute time lapse between thunder rolls.
Unfortunately, we do not offer refunds for lost swimming time, as this is out of our control.